Dover Finishes Strong at 2015 FFA Activities Week
Recently, ten students from the Dover FFA Chapter attended FFA Activities Week at Penn State University, main campus. FFA Activities Week is the annual Summer Convention of the Pennsylvania Association of FFA. Dover students attended with about 1400 other FFA members and advisors from all across the state. They also competed in state level FFA Career Development Events (CDE). The FFA members were accompanied by their teachers/advisors, Alexandra Barzydlo and Ron Weaner.
Emma Yinger placed 2nd in the Senior Prepared Public Speaking CDE and earned a trip to the Eastern States Exposition in Massachusetts in September. There, she will compete against FFA members from 12 northeastern states. Emma also competed in the Interview CDE and received a bronze medal.
Haley Sweitzer, Alysha Sweitzer, and Taylor Shultz competed in the Poultry Judging CDE and were the 3rd place team, statewide. Haley Sweitzer also competed in the FFA Creed Speaking CDE and received a gold medal.
Five FFA members represented Dover FFA in the Wildlife CDE. They included Wyatt Hoffman(silver medal), Weston Hoffman, Erika Myers, Kirstyn Swancer, and Kale Stermer. Rounding out the group was Eli Meiler in the Dairy Judging CDE.
There are over 12,000 FFA members across Pennsylvania with Dover being one of the largest chapters with nearly 250 members.
Dover Elementary "Eagles on the Run"
This spring Dover Elementary had approximately 50 students in grades 3-6, as well as many teachers and parents, participate in our after school running program "Eagles on the Run.” The program met Tuesdays and Thursdays for 8 weeks. The students participated in various running activities aimed at developing self-confidence, teamwork, goal setting, and a love for movement and running!
Governor Wolf Announces Revision to Background Checks
On June 10, 2015, Governor Wolf announced changes to background checks requirements. Below are highlights of some of the new changes announced by Governor, Tom Wolf on June 10, 2015. The entire press release can be found by clicking here.
Effective July 25, 2015:
- Fees for child abuse clearances and criminal background checks required by the Child Protective Services Law will be waived for volunteers working with children.
- Additionally, the Department of Human Services (DHS) and the Pennsylvania State Police (PSP) will be reducing the cost of both the child abuse and criminal history record checks from $10 to $8 for all other applicants.
- Beginning July 1, 2015, volunteers are required to obtain background checks, including the Child Abuse History Clearance, issued by the DHS, and the Criminal History Record Check, issued by the PSP.
A comprehensive list of persons required to get clearances is as follows:
- Child care service employees;
- Foster parents and adult household members;
- Prospective adoptive parents and adult household members;
- Individuals 14 year of age or older applying for a paid position as an employee responsible for the welfare of a child or having direct contact with children;
- Any individual seeking or provide child-care services under contract with a child-care facility or program;
- School employees governed by public school code and those not governed by the public school code (colleges and universities).
Invitation to Visit Intermediate School
Parents/guardians and students entering 7th grade at the Intermediate School for the 2015-2016 are invited to come visit the school on:
- July 23 from 8:00am - 11:00am
- August 6 from 4:00pm - 7:00pm
- August 17 from 12:00pm - 3:00pm
We ask parents/guardians to bring in your students, walk the halls, and become familiar with our building. There will be no teachers, and the halls may be messy, but we would like to give everyone an informal opportunity to visit.
Sports Physicals will be held at the Dover High School on the following dates for students entering the 7th
grade through the 12th
grade who wish to participate in interscholastic sports or cheerleading.
- Monday, August 3, 2015 – Last names that begin with A-L
- Monday, August 10, 2015 – Last names that begin with M-Z
Please click here additional information. If you’re unable to attend either physical night at the high school, please print this required form that will need to be completed by your family doctor. Required Form
2014-2015 Dover Area High School Scholastic Awards Banquet
The Dover Area High School Scholastic Awards Banquet was held on Wednesday, May 20 at the Wyndham Garden York. 89 students were honored that evening for their academic achievements, with more than $100,000 of scholarship money distributed to our seniors. We are Dover Proud!
Harrisburg Area Community College Summer Camps
HACC is offering summer camps for students ages 12-17. For more information on these exciting opportunities, please click here.
School Bus and Van Drivers Wanted
|For Dover Area School District
Contact E&B Transportation
Summer Meals Locator
Schools or families can use any of the following methods to locate sites that serve free meals to children during the summer:
- Call 211
- Call 1.866.3Hungry or 1.877.8Hambre
- Text “MEALPA” to 877877 during the summer months
- Visit the website: www.fns.usda.gov/summerfoodrocks (note, this replaces the whyhunger.org website)
- Use the site locator for smartphones - Rangeapp.org
For additional information about the Summer Food Service Program please contact Mary Ringenberg at email@example.com
Important Information for All Volunteers and Substitutes
for the Dover Area School District
The PA Legislature has amended the Child Protective Services Law numerous times over the past year. The most recent changes came to us through Act 153 of 2014, which focuses on criminal background checks and impacts everyone employed, substituting or volunteering in a school district, effective immediately.
Act 153 of 2014 Mandated Renewal of
Criminal Background Checks and Clearances
The PA Legislature has amended the Child Protective Services Law numerous times over the past year. The most recent changes came to us through Act 153 of 2014 which focuses on criminal background checks and impacts everyone employed, substituting or volunteering in a school district, effective immediately. Please review each of the links below for the appropriate information.
The Dover Area School District has extended the internal deadline date from August 1, 2015 to October 15, 2015 for those employees hired prior to the year 2012 to complete and submit their required clearances to the Human Resources Department. Please note; it is the obligation of each individual to accept the financial responsibility to obtain and submit all three (3) clearances to the district as required. When employees obtain their new clearances, they should submit them to the attention of Mrs. Heather Thomas – Payroll Coordinator/HR Secretary at the district Administration Building. Please understand, this is a state mandate and as such requirements are placed on the district if documents are not provided by the deadline.